My home on the web!
Friday, September 02, 2005
  Linux and me
I"ve had a long-standing love affair with GNU/Linux. Ever since high school (about 1994) I've been enamored with the open-source operating system. Since that time, I've tried many of the more popular distributions, but I never found one that was quite ready for me to use. None of them had that "feel." So, I would always play with it for a few days and end up re-installing that "other" operating system - Windows. Nevermind that the Micro$oft operating system didn't have that "feel" either, but at least I knew that around the Blue Screens of Death and at least twice daily re-booting I could get my work done. I never lost that longing for something different and better, though.

When I first started, I chose Debian. I really liked the idea of a community developed and maintained operating system that is Free (as in speech, not necessarily as in beer - but it just so happens that debian is both). See Debian's web site for more information about this linux distribution. As I said, I really liked the idea, but unfortunately this distribution is a little too involved for a beginner to use, and the documentation is somewhat scarce. So, after playing around a bit I ended up back with Micro$oft's OS.

Over time, I tried other versions of linux - Redhat was not good for the desktop, SuSe was nice, just not what I was looking for, same with Mandrake (now Mandriva). Nothing fit right. Last time I tried them, they were getting very close, very close indeed, and I was getting excited about finally getting rid of the Micro$oft tax once and for all - however, the time was just not right. I could see how linux had changed, matured, over the years. It was nearly ready for general desktop use (at least among those interested in computers and who know a bit about installing operating systems).

Finally, about a year later, I think the time has come. I found an offshoot distribution of Debian called Mepis. Mepis, as I said, is an offshoot distribution based on Debian (the one who's ideals I really agreed with) that prides itself on "just working." It comes as a liveCD to download from various servers around the world (making it both free as in speech and as in beer) that you can try before you install it - just to make sure all your hardware works and it does what you want it to do. The best part is that it actually does work. My DSL works, my sound works, I can burn CDs, I can use word processors, I can code programs. Everything I need to do on a day to day basis. Even more, there are thousands of programs available, for free, to download from the debian repositories, since Mepis is compatible with all debian software releases. That means if I ever need new software or an upgrade to sofware I already have (or even just a complete upgrade of my operating system) I will never have to pay for it. Try that with Windows XP or M$ Office! I've also been running my computer for over a week, never turning it off, and have had no blue-screens-of-death, no system crashes or hang-ups. Just a reliable system that works. No worries about viruses, spyware, adware or any of those other hassles you get with Windows. And no twice weekly patches to fix the viruses, spyware and adware holes!

If you can't tell, I'm pretty happy that I"ve finally been able to rid myself of the Micro$oft shackles and I've finally set my computer Free!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This page will contain general messages - probably completely unrelated to medicine (and also probably totally unrelated to anything else, either). I'm seeing a bunch of random crap about music, computers, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
July 2004
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
February 2006


Powered by Blogger