My home on the web!
Wednesday, September 07, 2005
  Updated KDE
Well, Debian finally managed to get the new version of KDE out for installation - and I've spent the past few hours updating from KDE 3.3.2 to 3.4.2. There are actually a lot of improvements. The whole environment is faster, more responsive, and easier on the eyes. I've spent the past hour or so trying out my "must-have" applications to make sure none of them are broken.

Ok, ok.. I know most of you have no idea what KDE is. KDE is a graphical user interface (GUI) that allows a user to interact with his/her computer via pretty windows, rather than command-line. It depends on the X windowing system to provide the interface between the KDE programs and the operating system. Confusing? Yeah, well. If you haven't worked with Unix/Linux, then it can be. I'll put it another way: X/KDE is to Linux what Windows 3.1 was to DOS, okay? Make more sense now? It is basically a pretty covering on top of a not so pretty interface. Visit the KDE Website for more information.

So far, so good. My next upgrade will probably be from X-free86 to X.org's X windowing server. I've heard a lot of good things about it; again, more responsive, more up-to-date, and takes advantage of more hardware capabilities natively. I'll need to go to bed soon so I can get up and work later tonight, so I won't upgrade right now.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This page will contain general messages - probably completely unrelated to medicine (and also probably totally unrelated to anything else, either). I'm seeing a bunch of random crap about music, computers, and life in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
July 2004
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
February 2006


Powered by Blogger